is situated nearby the Bathyaneum Library. It belonged
to the prince Apor, and had been built in the second
half of the 17th century.
At the beginning of the 18th century it was the
residence of the Austrian army leader, prince Steinville.
In the same historically period, the building had
been added some excellent interior baroque decorated
Catholic Bishop is situated in the South west of
the fortress and in 17th -19th centuries. It was
been constantly modified during ages. The building
was a harmonious dovetailing of late Renaissance
and baroque elements, remarkable sobriety. Roman
Camp and the Old Fortress, an important archeological
site, the center where the 13th Legion Gemina (106-275)
had established, has been fitted and used during
Middle age as a feudal fortress known under the
name of Balgrad. Part of its walls had preserved
until the 18th cent.
|The Bathyaneum library
is a late church, built in baroque style. In 1780,
Ignatiu Bathyany, bishop of Transylvania and a passionate
bibliophile, transform the inside of the establishment
to fit it for the present use, that of library.
It is famous all over the world for its ample series
of manuscripts, incunabula and rare books, such
as Codex Aureus (9th century), also known as the
Lorsch Gospel, containing Marcu and Matei Gospel,
Davidís Psalter, Codex Burgundus (15th century),
Biblia Sacra (13th century) the Pentateuch from
Orastie (1850), Serba Cantacuzino`s Bible, the New
testament from Balgrad (1648).
The first astronomical observatory was founded here
The Roman Camp and the Old Fortress is
an important archeological site.
The 13th Legion, Gemina billeted here, in (106-275).
It was adjusted and used as a feudal fortress, During
Middle Age also known as Balgrad. The walls had been
preserved until the 18th century.
building used to be Michael the Braveís residence during
the first political unification of the Romanians; the
Ottoman and Tatar invasions destroyed it. The foreign
chronicles picture it was an extremely luxurious building,
richly adorned, with frescos, marble stairs. The building
was placed next to two guard ranges. Right after Hungary
had been conquered by the Ottoman Empire, it became
residence for Ioan Zapolya`s wife Isabella. There had
been made some adornment improvements during the rule
of princes Gabriel Bethlehem and Gheorghe Racozzi the
2-nd. Since 1700 the building changed its destination
and was used as a barracks, and therefore, the inside
was adapted. The notifications led to the destruction
or covering of some important statue groups representing
scenes from The Bible.