alba iulia
mapguestbook
city hall alba iulia
about city
torusim
economy
Historic monuments
 

The city offers a wide range of statues and monuments, many of them of historic importance. The most important historic monuments could be found in the Citadel.

 
 

Michael the Brave’s statue is placed in front of the Princely Palace.
It has been realized out of bronze by the sculptor Oscar Han in 1968.
Behind the equestrian statue there is a bas-relief sculptured by Horia Flamandu in 1975 it represents Michael the Brave while receiving homage from the three Romanian countries.
The bas-relief is 6,20m. long and 3m. broad, and at the base it has an carved plaque saying: "It is here , in Alba Iulia where, in the year 1600, as a symbol of the historical right of the Romanian people to Unity, liberty and independence, trough the fight and the will of the people, trough the bravery and the genius of the great prince Michael the Brave, the great event of the first political unification of the three Romanian Principates: Transylvania, Moldavia and Valachia."

Built in memory of Horea, Closca and Crisan, the martyrs of the serves revolt from 1784-1785, the monument, an stone obelisk, shows the place of their tragically end.

The Obelisk
In 1937, a beautiful obelisk was built in front of the Third Gate. The Project was initiated by "Astra" and carried through by local voluntary contribution. The monument is dedicated to the memory of the leaders of the great serves revolt (1784-1785).
It is a monolithic monument, realized by the architect E. Mihalton and the sculptor Negrulea.
It has a symbolical call at the base a winged Victory holding a laurel crown at the western side.
In the pedestal of the obelisk has been carved the following homage to the three martyrs:
"Homage to Horea, Closca and Crisan".
Custozza and Losenau Monuments

The Losenau Monument, in front of the 1st December University, in the park, was built in 1853, honoring the memory of colonel Ludwig Von Losenau, who had fight to death against gen. Bem`s army

In the same park, towards the Unification Hall, one can see another monument, shaped like a small obelisk, surrounded by chains made of heavy links and cannonballs.
The monument was uncovered in 1906, commemorating soldiers and officers from 50th Regiment, dead at Custozza during austro-italian war in 1866.

     
logo
Design by MB Solutions SRL © 2003 All rights reserved
Romana Deutsch