The Annunciation /Greeks’ Church

Biserica “Bunavestire”

COD LMI: AB-II-a-B-00116

Date(s) of Construction : 1782 - 1794

Address: 7 Avram Iancu Street

The construction of the church began in 1782 and concluded in 1794. It is a hall church, formed of a semicircular recessed apse, a nave divided in three spans and the bell tower joined to the West wing. A balcony with a wooden rail supported by columns was built inside the west wing. Inside, we notice an impressive painted iconostasis dating from the beginning of the 19th century, being the work of Simion Silaghi’s team in Abrud. The old mural painting created in the second half of the 19th century can still be seen today only in the altar.

The churches dowry also includes 15 festal icons painted by Stan Zugravul from Rășinari in 1768? originating from the church which existed here before, a votive light and an incensory donated in 1768 by Manu Karandoni from Melinik, the imperial icon painted by Simion of Bălgrad dated April 19, 1783, another two votive lights donated by Kriska Karandoni bearing an inscription with the year 1794 and another icon displaying a Greek letters inscription - Stefanu. In the morning of December 1, 1918, Bishop Miron Cristea, the future patriarch of Romania, held a service here, prior to the Assembly in the Union Hall.