The Holy Trinity Church

Biserica Sfânta Treime


Date(s) of Construction : sec. XVIII

The circumstances in which it was built, its history in whole, certain constructive characteristics and some decorative elements make the Holy Trinity Church from Maieri II the most interesting sanctuary erected by Romanians in Alba Iulia in the 18th century. The church was built in a haste between 1713 and 1715 in the context in which inhabitants from the area immediately around the citadel Alba Carolina were relocated here. A part of the construction materials came from the old mitropoly of Mihai Viteazul, which was demolished by Austrians when they built the bastionary fortification. The damages amounting to 1300 Florins paid by the imperial administration were misspent by the churchwarden. Consequently, in the first stage they only built a "small, dark and a weak foundation" church comprising a nave and an altar. Between 1730 and 1740 the church’s nave extended towards the West and a narthex was added, concluding the construction works with the erection of the bell tower in the time of Bishop Petru Pavel Aron.

The iconostasis was built between 1716 and 1717 by painter Iosif Ieromorahul, who came from Wallachia and was a scholar of Brâncoveanu School. The mural painting was made by Gheorghe Tobias of Abrud. Unfortunately, the iconostasis was destroyed, the present day aspect dating from 1961, the same year the mural painting was finalized.

Only a fragment of the old painting is still preserved today on the western side of the narthex, representing the ecumenical synod of Niceea (787). The most valuable elements of architectural plastics are found on the outside, in the nave and apse area where there are rows of bricks disposed obliquely in a "chainsaw" pattern, laid at the level of the plinth, above the windows and at the cornice, with obvious influences originating South of the Carpathians. The tombstone of squiress Ana de Hunedoara (†1662) is lodged at the base of the tower, also bearing an inscription with the name of the Teoctist Metropolitan of Bălgrad, probably resulting from the old mitropoly of Mihai Viteazul. A bell cast in the royal workshops (1620) also originates from there, having been donated by Sándor Gereg (the Greek) displaying a relief representation of Virgin Mary and the Baby and Archangel Michael slaying the dragon, with an inscription both in Latin and Hungarian reading "Sandor Gereg had this bell made in the name of Holy God. This work was made by Bartholomeus Heltencis. Year 1620".

Inside, in the narthex, there is a stone baptismal font with an inscription mentioning Andrei David magister nautarum, who passed away March 19, 1786.

The holy edifice is a hall church with a recessed apse, semicircular at the inside and polygonal on the outside, with a bell tower annexed to West facade. In the morning of December 1, 1918, Bishop Iuliu Hossu officiated the Te Deum service before the Assembly in the Union Hall.

Atanasie Anghel, the first Greek-Catholic Bishop, was buried in the church courtyard until October 2013.