The Apor Palace

The Apor Palace

COD LMI: AB-II-m-A-00099

Date of construction: sec. XVI

It is the most representative civil engineering construction within the citadel of Alba Iulia at the present time. It was built at the end of the 16th century, in the late Gothic style. In 1663 the building was in the property of Francisc Lugosi, the secretary of Prince Mihai Apafi, its first construction phase belonging to the late gothic. It was purchased by Count Ştefan Apor sometime between 1670 and 1690), when he was the treasurer of Transylvania. He extended and embellished the edifice with elements characteristic to the final phase of the late Renaissance. Around 1720 it receives a new functionality, becoming the small barracks of the Infantry, being in fact the residence of the commanding general of the Austrian garrison stationing in Alba Iulia.

The Baroque style transformations which were brought to the building in this phase mostly targeted the main façade, by adding a jutty which includes the access hall with the grand stairs, framed by the lateral corridors. General Stephan of Steinville initiated these works, the possible author of the reconstruction project being Joseph de Quadro, a famous architect, also involved in the neighboring construction site where they were building the Trinitarian monastery.

The small barracks of the Infantry had its headquarters here at the end of the 19th century and after 1918 it became the Cuza Vodă Garrison. Recently rehabilitated, today the palace hosts the vice-chancellorship of the "1 Decembrie 1918" University.


No. 5, Gabriel Bethlen Street


Monday-Sunday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

No entry fee.